Important Essentials for Off Roading
Want to Go Off Road ?? Do you Feel the adrenaline rush into your veins with the thought of tyres squealing, jumping and bumping, on an Off Road adventure ?… Do you want to get out of the mundane and head towards the jungle to battle your grit against the rough trails… So If you have it in you then it is an experience you just cannot miss in your life…. when the time comes do not think… just roar into an off road adventure… But wait !! Have you prepared for it? It would not be wise to venture out without taking a few precautions and some important support items along with you which will save you a lot of trouble. So here are a few important essentials for off roading that you must know to have a bumpy but safe ride… After all, I’m sure you would not like small glitches to ruin your off-roading experience. So please pay attention to the following before you begin the trip…
- Do you have a 4×4 ? If you have then excellent.. Otherwise, manage one (Going off road is not advisable in a two wheel drive vehicle). An all wheel drive is an essential requirement for an off-road vehicle as this is the single most important quality that will pull out your vehicle out from soft ground where it is likely to get stuck. The 4×4 drive train delivers power to all the four wheels thereby distributing the rotary pull force to all the wheels evenly, rather than only two wheels. This also helps the vehicle to scale rough undulating terrains by giving power to all the wheels that have a firm grip on the ground. In case the vehicle gets stuck, then an intelligent drive system delivers power to the wheels that are firm on the ground rather than to those which are slipping. Got it !!
- Inspect your vehicle visually to ensure that it is off road worthy. Check the doors, windows, mud-flaps and other panels to ensure that they are not loose.
- Carry out an inspection of the engine compartment to check the level of fluids: engine oil, brake oil, clutch oil, power steering fluid, gear oil, engine coolant and the wiper fluid. Also check the compartment for leaks. If you find any, time to visit the mechanic.
- Check the condition of fan belts. Change them if required…
- Ensure the cabin is strong and the doors are sturdy. No Loose panels or articles inside. Check the locks. Should be holding good in case of a topple or an encounter with a beast of the wild..
- Check and tighten seat bolts…
- Check the seat belts. Pull to ensure that they hold under pressure…
- Check the serviceability of the windows. They should be working to hold off rains…
- Check the condition of tires. better the grip. better the fun… Go for All Terrain tires with deep grips. They will provide excellent hold in soft slushy ground and rough terrain.
- Check the toolbox and replace old tools…
- Carry extra tools as required… A High lift Jack is a must to rescue your vehicle from deep perils…
Don’t Have a Jack
- Does your vehicle have a winch? If not arrange for one… A winch with a steel cable is another one of the most important tools to rescue your vehicle from deep unknown slushes or bogs, from where even your All wheel drive may not be able to pull your vehicle out. So its a must. Alongside it will be very helpful for you to pull away any obstructions en-route, or even help you lower or pull out any individual for an adventure or rescue.. Think about it..
- Take your vehicle to a mechanic and get all the suspension bolts, shocker bolts and engine mounting bolts tightened…
- Carry spare spark plugs, fan belt, engine fluids and tyre puncture repair kit…
- Carry a compressor or a pump to inflate tyres in emergency…
- Check tyre pressure in all tyres, including the spare, before you start your journey..
Safety and Survival Kit: Very Important essentials for off roading :
Ensure you have the following :
- Snake Bite Kit
- Antiseptic Liquid to clean wounds..(Dettol, Savlon or Tincture Iodine)
- Antiseptic Cream for dressing
- Swabs and Adhesive tapes for cleaning wounds and dressing
- Medical Alcohol or Spirit
- Gauze Pads and Gauze rolls
- Hand Sanitizer
- Medicines – Paracetamol for fever, Ibuprofen
- Anti-Burn Cream
- & Voveran Tablets as painkillers, Anti – Diarrhea Tablets, Tylenol as fever reducer, Epinephrine for severe allergic reactions, Mild Anti-Biotics like Norflox, Oflox etc.. for infections of stomach.
- Multipurpose Tool Kit consisting of a knife, shovel, axe, hammer etc. which you may need to make way, prepare camp site or prepare food.
- A handy fire extinguisher to care of emergencies.
- Sturdy Gloves.
- Flares & sufficient matches or lighter to help build a fire.
- Map & GPS Unit.
- Flashlight with adequate batteries.
- Safety Glasses.
- Duct Tape.
- Electrical Insulation Tape.
Personal Items: Please do not forget to Carry
- Sufficient Drinking Water.
- Food, Snacks & Energy drinks.
- Water purification tablets.
- Extra Clothing and waterproof covers.
- Camping Tent.
- Insect repellant.
- Sun Goggles.
- Blankets (If required).
- Sun Block Cream or Lotion.
- Communication devices like Cellphones or Walkie Talkie.
- Cooking Utensils – Pan etc..
And above all, stay in touch with friends and dear ones during your journey to make them aware of your plans, progress and locations so that they may come for your rescue, if the circumstances do not work out in your favour. All these important essentials for off-roading should be able to look after you… in your adventure of the rough and wild…. So go along and have a great journey… write a story and feel the rush…
ALL THE BEST….